Wednesday, February 20, 2019

May I Help You? (For those who have endured abuse)


May I help you?

Some people may have suggestions.

Even if you didn’t ask.

Some may say you must be strong! You must be fierce! You must fight! You are tough!

But you didn’t ask.

They don’t know you have fought far too long. You are tired of wars.

Some may say, “Forget your sad story and move on with your life.”

Nope, you didn’t ask. Some people need to believe they know all the answers even when they know nothing about you.

Some people talk so they don’t have to listen.

Some may ignore you. This can hurt. But it is their own insecurity. Perhaps their own immaturity. 
This is not a reflection on you. You are beautiful. They are uncomfortable.

So, may I help you?

Take your time.

I might not have any answers. I probably won’t.

Personally, every survivor has their own distinct horror story. I respect you and your story.

Would you like to talk about it?

Is it easier to whisper? Or shout? Or let your tears do the talking?

What would comfort you?

You may ask for what you need. Always.

You may tip-toe or stomp or curl up on the couch.

Your answers are the right answers. Take all the time you need.

If you need to fight, I will go to war with you.

For now, I will sit with you. I will make the tea. I will be present. I will listen.

May I help you, dear one?

1 comment: